Thursday, February 17, 2022

First Tawny owl nestbox

 I finally decided to try and make a Tawny owl nestbox. In the last month, I've managed to assemble 20 nestboxes for Tits/Flycatchers, but my brother convinced me that I should try to construct a bigger next box for Tawny owls or Barn owls.

I checked some articles and videos describing how to make a proper Tawny owl nest box, but I mainly follow the RSPB scheme and tips. It took me more than one week to finish it because I can only spare a few hours after work. 

The entrance is 20x20cm, the depth of the next box is 60cm and in general, the next box is well insolated so I assume I've covered the main requirements. The main problem that I can think of is that the middle of February probably is quite late in the season for me to expect a Tawny owl pair using it for this season.

In any case, I intend on making more boxes for next year, because of the lack of natural tree holes and suitable nest sites in the area.

Of course, I'll be very happy if someone can give me some advice on how to make the next one better.

Attaching the nest box



No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 results